An applicant for an SFI certificate shall:
(a) hold or have held a CPL, MPL or ATPL in the appropriate aircraft category.
(b) have completed the proficiency check for the issue of the specific aircraft type rating in an FFS representing the applicable type, within the 12 months preceding the application and
(c) additionally, for an SFI(A) for multi-pilot aeroplanes or SFI(PL), have:
(1) at least 1 500 hours flight time as a pilot on multi-pilot aeroplanes or powered-lift, as applicable.
(2) completed, as a pilot or as an observer, within the 12 months preceding the application, at least:
(i) 3 route sectors on the flight deck of the applicable aircraft type or
(ii) 2 line-orientated flight training-based simulator sessions conducted by qualified flight crew on the flight deck of the applicable type. These simulator sessions shall include 2 flights of at least 2 hours each between 2 different aerodromes, and the associated pre-flight planning and de-briefing.
The privileges of SFIs shall be restricted to the FTD 2/3 or FFS of the aircraft type in which the SFI training course was taken.
The privileges may be extended to other FSTDs representing further types of the same category of aircraft if the holders have:
(a) completed the simulator content of the relevant type rating course.
(b) completed the relevant parts of the technical training and the FSTD content of the flight instruction syllabus of the applicable TRI course.
(c) conducted on a complete type rating course at least 3 hours of flight instruction related to the duties of an SFI on the applicable type under the supervision and to the satisfaction of a TRE or an SFE qualified for this purpose.
The privileges of the SFI shall be extended to further variants in accordance with the OSD if the SFI has completed the type relevant parts of the technical training and the FSTD content of the flight instruction syllabus of the applicable TRI course.
Privileges and conditions
(a) The privileges of SFIs are to carry out synthetic flight instruction, within the relevant aircraft category, for:
(1) the revalidation and renewal of an IR, provided that they hold or have held an IR in the relevant aircraft category.
(2) the issue of an IR, provided that they hold or have held an IR in the relevant aircraft category and have completed an IRI training course.
(b) The privileges of SFIs for multi-pilot aeroplanes are to carry out synthetic flight instruction for:
(1) the issue, revalidation and renewal of type ratings for multi-pilot aeroplanes and if applicants seek privileges to operate in multi-pilot operations, for single-pilot high-performance complex aeroplanes.
(2) the MCC training course.
(3) the MPL course on the basic, intermediate and advanced phases, provided that, for the basic phase, they hold or have held an FI(A) or an IRI(A) certificate.
Revalidation and renewal
(a) To revalidate an SFI certificate, applicants shall fulfil, before the expiry date of the SFI certificate, at least two out of the following three requirements:
(1) have completed at least 50 hours as instructors or examiners in FSTDs, of which at least 15 hours in the period of 12 months immediately preceding the expiry date of the SFI certificate.
(2) have completed instructor refresher training as an SFI at an ATO.
(3) have passed the relevant sections of the assessment of competence in accordance with point FCL.935.
(b) Additionally, applicants shall have completed, on an FFS, the proficiency checks for the issue of the specific aircraft type ratings representing the types for which privileges are held.
(c) For at least each alternate revalidation of an SFI certificate, holders shall comply with the requirement in point (a)(3).
(d) If an SFI holds a certificate in more than one type of aircraft within the same category, the assessment of competence taken on one of those types shall revalidate the SFI certificate for the other types held within the same category of aircraft, unless otherwise is determined in the OSD.
To renew the SFI certificate, applicants shall, within the period of 12 months immediately preceding the application for the renewal, comply with all of the following conditions:
(1) have completed instructor refresher training as an SFI at an ATO.
(2) have passed the assessment of competence in accordance with point FCL.935.
(3) have completed, on an FSTD, the skill test for the issue of the specific aircraft type ratings representing the types for which privileges are to be renewed.