Upon receipt of an application and associated airworthiness review certificate recommendation in accordance with point M.A.901:
- Appropriately qualified personnel of the competent authority shall verify that the compliance statement contained in the recommendation demonstrates that a complete airworthiness review in accordance with point M.A.901 has been carried out.
- The competent authority shall investigate and may request further information to support the assessment of the recommendation.
- The result of the verification and the investigation of a recommendation should be sent to the applicant within 30 days. If corrective action has been requested before the issuance of an airworthiness review certificate, the competent authority may decide a further period for the assessment of the requested corrective action.
- The verification of the compliance statement required by M.B.901 does not mean repeating the airworthiness review itself. However, the competent authority should verify that the CAMO/CAO has carried out a complete and accurate assessment of the airworthiness of the aircraft.
- Depending on the content of the recommendation, the history of the particular aircraft, and the knowledge of the CAMO/CAO making the recommendation in terms of experience, number and correction of findings and previous recommendations, the extent of the investigation will vary. Therefore, whenever possible the person carrying out the investigation should be involved in the oversight of the CAMO/CAO making the recommendation.
- In some cases, the inspector may decide that it is necessary to organise:
— — a physical survey of the aircraft, or
— a full or partial airworthiness review.
In this case, the inspector should inform the CAMO/CAO making the recommendation with sufficient notice so that it may organise itself according to M.A.901(i).
Furthermore, this part of the investigation should be carried out by appropriate airworthiness review staff in accordance with M.B.902(b).
- Only when satisfied that the aircraft is airworthy, should the inspector issue an airworthiness review certificate.